Thursday, May 27, 2010

Naturally Beautiful: "Good Hair" by Benilde Little

Always stumbling upon good books in the library. this time my eyes tripped upon this beautifully written 1996 love story about the odds and ends of a relationship forced to deal with black class differences. Must Read.
 

Excerpt:

I looked out of the window, looking for a distraction, and I saw someone who looked an awful lot like Miles coming out of Royce's with a woman dressed in a citron-colored spandex dress, white pumps, and hair or a weave down to her butt. My eyes followed them as they headed toward the red Porsche Carrera parked a few feet from the entrance. He put the key into the lock. I turned away from the window and faced the Plexiglas separating me from the driver. I wanted to ask him to turn the drug-hazed cardinals back on. I needed something, anything, to tune out the noise in my head. One tear began to fall, another one caught up. By the time I got to Upper West Side, my face was moist. I overpaid the driver and got out.


"Dank you, lady," I heard the driver say before he sped off. I ran upstairs to my apartment and called Miles before I took off my coat. He wasn't at his office and he wasn't at home.


I sat on my sofa bed, still wearing my coat trying to make sense of what I'd just seen. I thought of a line I'd read somewhere: Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.
-Good Hair by Benilde Little; (pg. 65-66)

No comments:

Post a Comment